Adventures in Sewing

25 Jul

Happy Monday everyone; I hope you had a great weekend.  Mine was filled with more birthday cake and birthday parties; almost everyone in my family has a birthday at the end of July or the beginning of August.  So far we have had three, and there are still four more to come!

I did manage to squeeze a lot of sewing in on Sunday.  I can’t say that the majority of it was a success…but I did get an ‘A’ for effort.  I decided to try to make slipcovers for my Pier 1 parsons chairs that I got a few weeks ago (more talk about dining room chairs here and here).   Last week I found the perfect fabric to compliment the seat cushions on my other chairs.

"yellow and gray print fabric"

Fabric for white chairs

yellow and gray bird fabric

Fabric for parsons chairs

The photos look a bit off…the colors match.

Anyway, I also got some cheap fabric to make a trial slipcover first.

I thought I could drape the fabric...

add a side panel and pin...

and pin some more...

Then sew along the seams, but it turned out really lumpy at the top!

bumpy lumps

So on the other side of the chair I did…

a seam at the top first...

Then I sewed the sides, but that still wasn’t working quite right…

Time for the seam ripper!

I tried again by sewing smaller pieces together along each side.

Front pieces sewn to a side panel (instead of wrapping the fabric around the top)

Front with two side panels...

I then added a back and even a seat.  Everything was going ok; then I tried to add a side to the seat.

putting on the lower side...

And that was lumpy and bumpy also!!

blah, blah, blah

After all of my hard work, this is what I came up with today:

An accent pillow!

For our bedroom (more here, here and here) =)

Success!

I want to make two of these, but after all the mishaps with the slipcover I only had the energy to make one.

I think I am going to have to either buy a pattern for the slipcover or just purchase a ready made one at Pier 1 and take it apart to figure it out.  I am hoping a basic pattern from the fabric store will work okay because I have a feeling deconstructing an existing cover may not work as well as I would like it to.

The moral of this adventure in sewing is:  if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again (and again), then give up and do something else.  😉

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: