This post is LONG overdue!
When I updated the look of Corner of Main none of the email subscribers were transferred over. This is why you haven’t gotten any posts emailed to you in the last month or so. Please visit the new site and re-sign up! I don’t want you to miss anything!
Have a great weekend!
What did you do for New Year’s Eve? I went out to dinner with friends and listened to some live music. A good time was had by all!
Can you believe it is already 2012? I know I will be dating things 2011 for the next month or two!
These last few weeks have flown by so quickly I am a bit behind on getting things done…one of which is the new look of this here blog. I had high hopes of showing off our face lift on Jan 1, but now I am shooting for sometime this week. I seem to be running into some issues with image sizes. Ugh.
Please check back soon!!
Hello and welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your weekend and week for that matter…and had a very Merry Christmas.
The other day was my 33rd birthday (yep, it will happen to you some day if it hasn’t already). I celebrated it by spending the day at work…boo! The night before my birthday we had our family over to enjoy some pizza and birthday cake, so at least I was able to enjoy my birthday a day ahead of time! Kevin made my favorite: funfetti cake.
Anyone else out there enjoy a little funfetti every now and then? I know my nephews love it also…as I am sure most 2-6 year olds do. (Did anyone notice little Stewart in the pic? He was fixated on Kevin instead of the blazing inferno)
Anyway…enough about that…
Six months ago I made a list of things around the house I wanted to accomplish by 12/27/11. Let’s see how we did:
1. Purchase items for the master bedroom: floor mirror, floor lamp, chair, accessories/art, area rug? 1 out of 5 on this one.
2. Organize closet in master bedroom Nope, still empty of clothes, but full of random things like leftover grasscloth and tools.
3. Paint guest bedroom Nope
4. Purchase items for guest bedroom: bedding, window treatments, nightstand, accessories/art, TV and stand? I made over a nightstand with decoupage if that counts. 2 out of 5 is getting better!
5. Paint office/craft room Nope
6. Purchase & install shelves and/or furniture for craft room We more or less did this by using things we already had
7. Organize office/craft room Yes!
8. Paint full bath Yes!
9. Paint fixtures in bath (or replace) Yes, and they are still holding up just fine!
10. Purchase items for bath: new medicine cabinet (or just fix existing one), window treatment, storage unit/dresser, art/accessories . 50% here, we decided to go with a mirror and ditch the medicine cabinet. We still need to find a storage unit and some more art.
11. Paint upstairs hallway & walls in stairway No way! I am thinking 2013 for this one!
12. Create a wall of photos for stair/hallway No, I did hang 2 pictures in the hallway upstairs, but that’s about it.
13. Install carpet runner on stairs Ha! Maybe 2014!
14. Paint foyer No
15. Purchase items for foyer: hall tree or bench, accessories/art No
16. Paint living room No; this is definitely on the 2012 list which hopefully I will make next week.
17. Purchase items for living room: all new furniture (eek…sofa, coffee and end tables, etc), art/accessories Twenty twelve here we come!
18. Replace tile on fireplace No
19. Decorate fireplace mantel Yes, a couple times actually!
20. Have chimney repaired (tuck-pointing and various other things I am not familiar with) Eek. We need to do this!
21. Paint dining room Work in progress…almost done!
22. Put up chair (or plate) rail & add detail wood to lower 1/2 of wall Yes!
23. Finish dining room chairs (paint and recover) Yahoo!
24. Purchase additional items for dining room: 2 parson’s chairs, fabric, art/accessories, window treatments This is also a work in progress. My next bigger purchase will probably be window treatments, a small buffet, and art/accessories.
25. Organize china and crystal in the china cabinets Yes!
26. Make slip covers for parson’s chairs Kinda. I made 1.5 of these. Perhaps I should just get it done this weekend!
27. Purchase & install new kitchen cabinet doors No, we decided to save and just get all new cabinets (maybe 2013 for this one)
28. Paint cabinets, doors, and walls in kitchen Nope
29. Install new floors and countertops Nope
30. Purchase items for the kitchen: stove/oven (ours is ok, but one of these days I am going to singe off my eyebrows…that will be a good look), small flat-screen TV, smaller table and chair set, window blinds (or clean existing…if possible) Stove/oven has been purchased and it’s awesome! I almost got Kevin a new TV for Christmas, but I have a problem with watching TV and eating dinner….I think it is the worst idea ever. Anyone out there agree with me? The blinds we have are hopeless, we definitely still need to replace them as well as the small table we have currently.
31. Install heat in the sunroom Done, but it is not very warm =( We may have to have someone come out to fix it.
32. Purchase items for the sunroom: accent chairs, tables, lamps, cellular shades and drapes?, Entertainment center, art/accessories 2012!
33. Purchase items for the 1/2 bath: small white cabinet/table, art/accessories. My dad just made us a cabinet (for my birthday in fact). I’ll have to show it off next week.
There you have it. Not too bad for living in our house 10 months. As time goes by it is easier to figure out what we need to do next. What is next on your list? Are you going to make a list for 2012?
Speaking of 2012…it’s next week! We are working on a new look here at Corner of Main. I will be taking a blogging break till next week when we can reveal our new look. Have a Happy New Year!!
Christmas is just days away. Have you wrapped all your gifts yet?
Does anyone have a silly 6 year-old that they need to wrap a gift for?
Let’s say you get that silly kid a game for their Wii and it weights a pound and is super small and not very exciting if sitting under the tree.
I know I am not the first person to do this, but I can’t wait to watch him open it! I put the game in a box of granola bars (I really dislike these bars so they are now just sitting in the cabinet waiting for Kevin to eat them)…
That went into a box of cereal…
Then a big box of Costco green beans…
And lastly a shipping box from Amazon:
Robby! Uncle Kevin got you something for Christmas!
Have you wrapped anything like this before? Has anyone given you a box of boxes?
Good luck with your last minute shopping and gift wrapping. Have a lovely weekend and a very Merry Christmas!
Warning…lots of reading and not a lot of pictures ahead…
When my brother and I were young we always had the traditional Christmas morning: get up way to early, check out what Santa left under the tree, and joyously open our gifts with our parents. When we were teenagers, my family began opening gifts on Christmas Eve, possibly going to midnight mass, and then sleeping in on Christmas morning. Our little family has always celebrated Christmas Eve at my parents.
Fast forward many years, a couple weddings, and a few babies.
Here is Christmas Eve 2010:
As our family grows, it is hard to continue with the same Christmas Traditions we had many years ago. I love spending time with my parents, brother, and his family on Christmas Eve…as does Kevin! Kevin’s brother and sister-in-law have Christmas Eve every year, and Kevin does his best to attend every year also.
So what do you do…one night and two parties to go to?
Kevin and I are lucky that all of our immediate family are within about 30-40 miles of our house, but it is really hard to juggle schedules without hurting feelings or missing the holiday fun. What makes things even more difficult is Kevin may have to work on any given holiday. This year he is scheduled to work on Christmas =(
Our solution for this holiday season was to celebrate Thanksgiving dinner at my brother’s house, Christmas Eve at his brother’s house (but unfortunately Kevin’s mother works so they won’t get to see each other for Christmas), and I will head to my parents alone on Christmas day. This will be the first year my mom doesn’t cook a yummy dinner on Christmas Eve, but thankfully I can still see everyone on Christmas day. I am glad we were able to figure it out without too many issues (I think). Next year may be a different story…
Does anyone else out there have trouble juggling holiday parties? I can’t imagine how difficult this will be when we actually have kids! I am sure there are some of you out there with more than 2 parties to go to. How do you do it without upsetting any family members?
Kevin and I met in 2008, married in 1010, and moved into our home here at Corner of Main in 2011. We are starting to make a lot of our own traditions for our new family and our new home.
- Last week we cut down our own tree.
I hope we can keep this up every year and make it a new tradition! I would even like to try to plant some trees in our backyard so that we can go cut one of our own down…in…oh…2020 maybe.
- Each year we have exchanged ornaments. Kevin seems to have a theme going on the ones he has given me (no complaints here, who doesn’t love Swarvoski Crystal?)
The photos don’t do these sparkly lovelies justice!
- Another new tradition we are starting is an annual Christmas party in our home. We hosted our first Ugly Christmas Sweater party this past weekend actually! Our friends and family had a great time finding something ugly to wear….
(Do you see the gray paint? L. O. V. E. it)
Those hats actually moved and played music!
Kevin’s sister was the winner (below in the red with the runners up)…
She made her sweater quite ugly with a stocking on the front and a wreath on the back! Here was her prize (along with a Starbucks gift card):
It’s the (very) rare (I only made 2, one for the winner and one for us)…
2011 Corner of Main Ugly Sweater Ornament! I am not sure if I can top this next year!
Do you have any Holiday Traditions? Check out more at Newly Woodwards!
Linking up to Bower Power Christmas Crafts!